The construction of these funerary monuments stretches from 2800 to 1500 B.C. They are linked here to a tradition of 1,500 semi-nomadic pastoralists living in small family groups and regularly returning to their family burials. Their powerful architecture has enabled them to survive the ages and to reach us in relatively good condition.
THE MILLSTONES OF SAINT-JULIEN
Two kilometres before Saint-Julien-des-Meulières, imposing piles of rubble testify to the presence of a millstone quarry in this area. In addition to the piles of stones, which stretch over several dozen hectares, a few scattered millstones tell the story of this quarry, which is reflected in the very name of the hamlet. Almost industrial in size, when compared to the hundreds of small quarries scattered throughout France, this quarry supplied a good part of the mills in Languedoc that were in operation at the beginning of the 19th century.